Friday, March 15, 2013

Healthy banana bread

 Banana bread can be healthy. It really can. Just take a look at my Greek yoghurt banana bread. But hey, this is even a more healthy recipe! There is absolutely no butter, oil or refined sugar. It uses applesauce and honey. Honey can replace white sugar or brown sugar in banana bread quite well, in my opinion. It's all good.

My oldest sister really enjoyed this banana bread. I quote her "This does not taste healthy at all!"

You can use oat flour (just grind old fashioned rolled oats), rice flour etc or you can just go the traditional way and use all purpose or whole wheat flour.
I apologise for my pictures however. I had a bit of trouble with cutting slices since the edges were starting to fall off a bit, since it's not as firm as a banana bread that contains flour. However, it tastes better than it looks, trust me! And very, very moist. I just love moist banana breads.And with lots of walnuts and dark chocolate chips too :)

But if you're looking for a healthy snack, go ahead and try this. Though, I'm not telling you to eat half the loaf like I did within a few days.... ;)

Healthy banana bread
Adapted from Yammie's glutenfreedom
Ingredients:
2 large eggs
1/2 cup honey (or maple syrup, white sugar, or any other sweetener)
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce (homemade or store-bought)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 and 1/2 cup oat flour (or any other type of flour)
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 and a 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (I used about 2 large and 2 small bananas)

Optional mix ins: walnuts, chocolate chips, pecans etc

Instructions:
1. Grease two loaf pans or 1 loaf pan. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 F).
2. Mix together the eggs, honey, applesauce and vanilla.
3. Mix the flour, baking soda, powder and cinnamon and add to the wet ingredients.
4. Stir in the mashed bananas and mix well. Add any mix-ins.
5. Divide the batter evenly into two pans or into 1 big loaf pan. Bake for about 45 minutes for two loaves, or an hour for one (until a toothpick comes out clean).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting, I really appreciate it!