Thursday, August 15, 2013

Hyper-inflated lung with emphysema

For the past few weekends, I've had full baking sessions at home. I've been taking in orders, to raise funds for a charity. I will update more on that later this year, once I make my total count of my earnings and when I send it off! I've been so overwhelmed with the support I've had from many friends. It's been really tiring though, frosting dozens of cupcakes, cutting brownies and rolling cookie dough. Cheesecake brownies and red velvet cupcakes were the best selling. I myself would buy them too :)  So, I apologise for not updating regularly!

This week has been science week at my school. I don't really think anyone knows how much I love science. Biology is definitely one of my favourite subjects, because I love the content and it can also be applicable to real life. We are learning about hormones and the nervous system, which is my favourite topic out of everything so far, besides the circulatory system! In other words, I'm fascinated by the human body particularly, and also other aspects of science. Oh.. Except I detest physics (sorry dad!). Anyway, my friend Aruni and I decided to enter the annual science cake baking competition. There are many students out there that bring insane-looking science cakes each year (e.g Isaac Newton's apple incident cake had chocolate branches and fondant...). We made a 'hyper-inflated lung with emphysema' (credits to her for coming up with the name). It was so much fun to make, and I have to say, it looks quite realistic. It's cool yet creepy at the same time. Let me know what your thoughts are!

The lung without the ribs is supposed to look damaged. One of the lungs is made out of rainbow vanilla cake and the other one as well as the heart, is made out of chocolate cake. It's all buttercream icing (not my favourite, but it's the easiest to work with). The ribs are made out of CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES. Pretty tasty.

We actually WON the competition, tying first place with another student. We won a junior Masterchef apron each; something I can wear in the kitchen now. So proud of our hard work. Definitely entering again next year :)

2 comments:

  1. WOW! This is amazing!!! Congratulations! :):):):)


    xx gemma @ http://andgeesaid.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much! a lot of hard work to make it look realistic :)

      Delete

Thank you for commenting, I really appreciate it!