Thursday, April 25, 2013

The Baked brownie: with macadamias and walnuts


Is this another post about the Baked brownie? Why yes it is.
 The only difference? Better pictures and macadamia nuts and walnuts in the batter.... My killer, dangerous-to-have-around-the-house kind of brownie.


The tower of brownie terror! 
I really don't think that my previous post did any justice into how sinful and rich the brownie is. Have you seen the Food network "The best thing I ever ate."? I remember Giada saying that she had this wicked spicy cinnamon hot chocolate in New York.. If I was interviewed: the best 'brownie' I ever ate? It would be the one and only Baked brownie! Hey, it's Oprah's favourite brownie!

Toasted nuts in this are absolutely delicious, though if you're not a nut person (I know I am), then feel free to omit them. You could add some chocolate chunks in, or even have a salted caramel version... I also reduced the sugar pretty significantly. While I might be the dessert queen, who eats more desserts than mains itself at a buffet, I really dislike having my brownies too sweet. If there's a sugar overload, I feel a little sick afterwards. So, I did 1/4 cup brown sugar, and 3/4 cup white sugar. I honestly didn't see any dramatic change in the texture, as I've made the version with 2 cups of sugar before. This time, it just came out less sweet. But if you like your brownies more sweet, add more sugar...
Oh and I also wanted to see the difference between a refrigerated brownie and a one that just stands at room temperature... I might be leaning towards the refrigerated one LOL. It makes it even fudgier, and I don't know if it's just me, but I really like cold cakes and sweets. But room temperature has a more cakey texture, so it's up to you really. These are thick, and what I like to describe as 'brick-size' brownies. Make sure you're not alone when you have a whole batch in your kitchen. I repeat: make sure you're not alone when you have a whole batch in your kitchen.

By the way, I just joined Bloglovin, so you can follow me on there to see my latest foodventures, baking-ventures and travel adventures! I would really love it if you could follow me :)

What's your favourite kind of brownie? Has anyone visited The Baked bakery in New York?


The Baked brownie

Ingredients
1¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt *
2 tablespoons dark unsweetened cocoa powder
11 ounces (312 grams) dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 cup (8 ounces or 227 grams) unsalted butter, cut into cubes
1 teaspoon instant espresso powder 
1½ cups granulated sugar *
½ cup packed light brown sugar *
5 eggs, at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
*optional 1/2 cup of toasted nuts, chopped 

*I would use 3/4 cup granulated sugar and 1/4 cup light brown sugar
*I would reduce the salt to 1/4 tsp 

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F or 180 Celsius degrees. Butter the sides and bottom of a 9×13-inch (23 cm by 33 cm) glass or light-coloured baking pan. Line the pan with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, salt, and cocoa powder together.
3. Put the chocolate, butter and instant espresso powder in a large bowl and set it over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate and butter are completely melted and smooth. Turn off the heat, but keep the bowl over the water and add the sugars. Whisk until completely combined, then remove the bowl from the pan. The mixture should be room temperature.
4. Add 3 eggs to the chocolate mixture and whisk until combined. Add the remaining eggs and whisk until combined. Add the vanilla and stir until combined. Do not overbeat the batter at this stage or your brownies 
will be cakey.
5. Sprinkle the flour mixture over the chocolate mixture. Using a rubber spatula (not a whisk), fold the flour mixture into the chocolate until just a bit of the flour mixture is visible.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake in the centre of the oven for 30 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through the baking time, until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the brownies comes out with a few moist crumbs sticking to it. Let the brownies cool completely, then lift them out of the pan using the parchment paper. Cut into squares and serve.
7 . Store at room temperature in an airtight container or wrap with plastic wrap for up to 3 days. You can also wrap it and store in the freezer.

Adapted from Baked: New Frontiers in baking

15 comments:

  1. Ahhhhh the Baked Brownie has been on my list for awhile. I neeed to make it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most definitely! These are the best brownies ever.

      Delete
  2. This loooks sooo good!
    I want to make it.

    www.cocoamourr.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julianna. It's so easy to make, you should make them :) Theyr'e really addictive too.

      Delete
  3. I am definitely a nut person too! ... and a brownie person..... :D I agree about brownies being too sweet, I really don't like a lot of shop bought brownies, they're just enough, a brownie should have a bitter chocolatey taste in my opinion. I have never tried refrigerating my cakes, I'll have to see if I can taste a difference, some food taste testing will obviously be in order! (:
    from Emily xx
    (p.s I've just joinged blooger too! http://www.bloglovin.com/feed/blog/6066941)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually obsessed with nuts.I can eat them raw, but I personally find them the best when it's toasted, and even a drizzle of honey :)
      I don't think store-bought brownies will ever be as good as home-made ones, and you know what's in them, plus you can use really good chocolate!
      Ooh, you should try doing that one day. I've refrigerated my cupcakes with cream cheese icing, and eaten it straight out, and it was so delicious!

      Delete
  4. I loved Baked! I try to visit whenever I'm in NYC. I prefer refrigerating my brownies as well. They just taste so much more decadent when they are dense and fudge like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I'm so jealous, what else have you tried from there? I've never been to New York, so visiting Baked and a few other bakeries (like Levain bakery & Jacques torre). Refrigerating gives it a whole new dimension, and definitely more rich and fudgey :)

      Delete
  5. Oh wow yum, your brownies look dangerously good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosie, they don't just look dangerously good, they are even more dangerously addictive and delicious.

      Delete
  6. Hi i tried your recipe(changed a bit) and shared on my blog. I linked to your page. It was really delicious and good recipe. Thanks a lot!
    http://kedilimutfak.blogspot.com/2013/08/brownie.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for linking back, and I'm glad to know that you enjoy it just as much as I do!

      Delete
  7. Philippine pili nuts from the Bicol region in the Philippines is a great Filipino or Philippines food orsnack. Pili nuts are very healthy and nutritious indeed, being a source of energy, potassium and iron.They also have protein, dietary fiber / fibre, and calcium as well as monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats.  I know they have no cholesterol, no trans fat, and the unsalted ones have no sodium. What is great about the pili nut snack or treat is that they are so crisp, rich, and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Baked brownie with macadamias look lip-smacking. I love to relish these. THanks for wonderful post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are great with macadamias! Thank you :)

      Delete

Thank you for commenting, I really appreciate it!