Saturday, March 30, 2013

I can't stop myself from eating...


I can't stop myself from eating banana bread, especially when warmed, smeared with butter or peanut butter. While some people have the itch to do some compulsive shopping, I have the urge of having a thick slice of banana bread for afternoon tea.

Back in middle school, my friends and I were addicted to the banana bread in the new cafeteria. It was full of chocolate chips, with a crackly top and a glaze, that I was always looking forward to. I bought it every few days, after I would finish my sandwich. Now, after I've made several banana breads, I know my school's one will never be as good as home-made ones.

Home-made banana bread is the best. And if you aren't baking it, get your butt off the computer and bake this one. Not only is it a cinch making your own, but it is also cheaper and much more tastier.
It's funny to think that some people in society (or in that case, people around my age) believe that any sort of cake or bread automatically becomes 'healthy', when there are fruits or vegetables involved.  A classic example of this is carrot cake. I made a 2 layer carrot cake, smothered with a load of cream cheese for my friend's birthday, and brought it to school not too long ago. My friends enjoyed it, and when they were offering it to some other people they said "Do you want some? It's really good! It's healthy too!" I was secretly laughing inside ;)

This is a healthier banana bread, but not the healthiest. If you want a banana bread that is even healthier than this (it uses oat flour!), then head to this recipe. This recipe uses apple sauce to replace the oil and butter and makes it quite moist. I honestly don't miss the butter or the oil in a lot of the 'healthier' banana bread recipes.  I added some chopped walnuts which is always essential for my own banana breads. I always need a little crunch!
I also put 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour, just to get a little bit more fibre.

As the my term 1 holidays are starting, I have a plan to work out everyday, and attempt to limit myself from eating too many slices of this. I'm on my way to learning how to have the willpower to limit my portions. I will only have one slice next time. But today I had two or three slices.. It was my breakfast.

Like they all say: Tomorrow is always a new day. 

Applesauce banana bread 
Yields 1 loaf, or 2 mini loaves

Ingredients
3 large ripe bananas (I used four medium sized ripe bananas because that's what I had)
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar, increase to 3/4 or 1 cup depending on your liking
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup apple sauce (home-made or store bought)
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup nuts (optional)

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F), grease sides of the loaf pan and line the base with parchment paper (or grease the whole pan).
2. Mash bananas with a potato masher or a fork, put aside.
3. Combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda in a medium bowl.
4. Add apple sauce, eggs, vanilla and bananas (and nuts if using) to flour mixture, and mix with a rubber spatula or a wooden spoon until just combined. Do not over mix.
5. Pour batter into the loaf pan, and bake for 50-60 minutes, until the an inserted tooth pick comes out clean.
6. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes, then cool bread on cooling rack.

Slightly adapted from Kitchen Runway

2 comments:

  1. Looks good I m going to try it soon. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, let me know if you do :) It's so easy to make and so much healthier.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting, I really appreciate it!