Thursday, February 14, 2013

Apple pancakes


Today, on Valentine's day, is the teacher's strike. I go to a public school, and I live in a state where teachers are being underpaid. This is probably the 3rd time that teachers are on strike, and with the school day off, I decided to make some apple pancakes for breakfast!




One of my favourite fruits (besides banana) to use in cooking and baking, are apples! Apple pie, apple crumble, apple pancakes, apple pie bars, apple muffins, apple sauce, I really could go on and on about how many things you can do with apples.

These pillowy-soft pancakes have a burst of grated tart apples with each bite. And with a crisp exterior.

It was actually Pancake day a few days ago, on Tuesday. However, since school has started, I haven't had the luxurious time of baking every day (like on the holidays), or even thinking about making a hot breakfast. I'm always yearning for the weekend.
Apple pancakes for breakfast for a school day off? Not too bad I say! Drizzle with some honey or maple syrup. Or, you can be like me and put a slab of peanut butter. And of course SPRINKLE CINNAMON!

Apple pancakes 
Adapted from Smitten kitchen

Ingredients:
2 eggs, well beaten

1 1/2 cups of milk or yoghurt (I used milk)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup sugar 
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 medium apples, peeled and coarsely grated
Butter or oil for frying

Method:
1. Beat the eggs with the milk, or with the yoghurt in a large bowl.
2. In a smaller bowl, sift the flour and whisk with baking powder, cinnamon and sugar. 
3. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and stir in the grated apples. 
4. Heat a thin layer of oil or butter in a pan over low to medium heat. Drop a large spoonful (or using an ice cream scoop) of batter into the pan, and flatten it out a bit. Cook until golden brown underneath, and flip over. Cook for an additional 2-3  minutes. 
5. Serve immediately, or keep on a tray in a warmed oven until you are ready to serve them

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting, I really appreciate it!