Sunday, February 10, 2013

Apple cinnamon muffins

My parents came home from the market, and they bought two whole bags of apples. Hm how about some apple pie, apple crumble, apple pancakes or what about apple muffins?

 There is not a smidge of butter, but there is a tiny bit of oil. I don't miss the butter here. The muffin gets its moist texture from the oil and the applesauce! The topping consists of nuts, cinnamon and a bit of brown sugar.
I love cupcake tiers!
So how's my so-called detox going? Well, the Saturday before the last, I went a little crazy when my whole family started eating chocolate. I lost count of how many Lindor balls I ate.. Somebody please tell me that I'm not the only one who has done that! But, there are days where I'm completely healthy, and some days where I'm not. I'm a human, and sometimes I just can't completely stay clean of sugary things. In my fantasies, butter, sugar and flour are extremely healthy and contains many good nutrients. If only!
By the way, happy Chinese new year! I've eaten quite a bit already, and I will be posting some Chinese new year cookie recipes soon :) So excited to share those. 


Apple cinnamon muffins

Adapted from Ellie Krieger 

3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar 
1/4 cup chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts, almonds.)*
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon *
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole-wheat/wholemeal flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 cup unsweetened applesauce *
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup low fat buttermilk
1 Golden delicious apple, peeled and cored, cut into small cubes.

* If you don't like nuts, you can sub in some oats. Or you can just leave the topping out.
* I upped the cinnamon quantity to about a half a tablespoon. I believe that apple and cinnamon goes well together, and the muffin batter just needs that extra spice.
* If you don't know how to make applesauce, you can buy ones from the store or make it at home. I always make unsweetened applesauce.

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees Celsius). Coat a 12-capacity muffin pan with cooking spray, or put muffin liners.
2. In a small bowl, mix together 2 tablespoons of the brown sugar, the nuts and cinnamon.
3. In another bowl, sift the all-purpose and whole wheat flour, and then whisk together with baking soda and salt.
4. In a large bowl, whisk the remaining 3/4 cup sugar and oil until combined. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, whisking well after each addition. Whisk in the applesauce and vanilla.
5. Whisk in the flour mixture in 2 batches, alternating with the milk. Whisk just until combined. Don't over-mix.  Gently stir in the apple chunks.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared muffin pan and sprinkle with the pecan mixture. Tap the pan on the counter a few times to remove any air bubbles. Bake for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in centre of 1 of the muffins comes out clean.
7. Let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Run a knife around the muffins to loosen them and unmold. Cool completely on the rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting, I really appreciate it!