I think a lot of people can agree on one thing; Nutella is life. That's a bit of an exaggeration, but spreading some Nutella on toast, or just eating a spoonful of it? Who could resist! We have to thank the Italians for this wonderful creation :)
Then, when you have a buttery pretzel crust, a seriously chocolatey brownie (with Nutella and cocoa powder), a thin layer of Nutella and to top it off, more pretzels, you have a sweet and salty combination.
Pretzels are one of my favourite snacks, it satisfies my salt and savoury craving. So incorporating pretzels into the dessert, is simply wow.
Not only does it look great, but this recipe is really easy! Trust me on this one.
Nutella pretzel brownies
Adapted from Bakingdom
Makes 1 8x8 inch batch (20 cm x 20 cm)
For the crust:
1 and 1/2 cups pretzels
1/3 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
For the brownies
1 stick (113 grams) unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup of Nutella
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
Extra Nutella for frosting the brownies
Extra pretzels for decoration
1. Start by making the crust. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit/180 degrees Celsius. Lightly coat a baking dish with cooking spray, or line with baking paper.
2. Place the pretzels in a food processor, and pulse until processed into fine bits. Add the sugar, and then the butter. Continue processing until combined.
3. Scoop out the mixture, and press it firmly into the prepared pan. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until the edges are golden and the crust feels firm.
4. Then, start making your brownie mixture. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Or, you can simply just melt it in a heatproof bowl in the microwave. Once melted, remove from heat and mix in the sugar until combined.
5. Add the eggs, one at a time. Mix well and stir in vanilla.
6. Whisk the dry ingredients in a separate bowl, and sift it into the wet mixture. Whisk until just combined, and pour the batter into the prepared pan.
7. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out with a few crumbs clinging to it.
8. Allow brownies to cool for at least 45 minutes before frosting with Nutella and decorating with pretzels.