Sunday, November 18, 2012

Chocolate chunk cookies

I don't know if it's just me, but I have always preferred chocolate chunks instead of chocolate chips in my cookies. I think this may be because of what Aunty Soo Suang said. Aunty Soo Suang makes the most incredible double chocolate cookies, her baking and her cooking is really good. I can recall too many occasions where she has brought so many delicious things (like mango pudding and chicken cacciatore).


I shaped these balls quite small because I put a tad too much baking soda. 
Anyway, she told me that the packaged chocolate chips isn't exactly 'real deal', well most definitely not as real as the normal chocolate bars because chocolate chips are meant to retain their shape while baking. Which means that they contain less cocoa butter. And really, I just love the oozey chocolate chunks in cookies, rather than in bits. Though, it's not to say that I hate a good old cookie with chocolate chips.


Fresh out of the oven
These cookies are crisp on the outside, and chewy in the middle. The best kind of cookies. Buttery, melty chocolate. These remind me of Subway cookies. Pretty much a replica actually. I have been a fan of Subway cookies for years. Apparently they just buy the dough from somewhere, rather than make it themselves. But their cookies (my favourite is double chocolate) are crispy on the outside and chewy in the middle. So delicious. 

I wonder how cooks like Giada De laurentiis can stay so skinny. I try to refrain myself from eating all of my baked goods as much as possible, BUT IT'S TOO HARD. Maybe I shouldn't even take a bite and just give it all away. But it's worth the calories, I mean, once in a while you know? Food is a girl's best friend. 


How is this possible? 
 I really need to go on a refined-sugar cleanse pronto.



These are like giving you a hug. Please do make them, they really are so, so, so good. Let me know how your results turn out. 

Chocolate chunk cookies

Adapted from Our Kitchen

2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt *
1/2 tsp baking soda
170 g unsalted butter, melted and allowed to cool a little
1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed (I reduced to 3/4 cup)
1/2 cup white sugar
1 large egg, beaten
1 egg yolk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups of chocolate chunks (dark, white, milk, whatever you like. I used dark and milk.), roughly chopped to give large irregular chunks

1. Preheat the oven to 165 degrees Celsius on Fan bake and arrange the oven shelves so they are spaced evenly at about 1/2 and 2/3 down the cavity and the hot air can circulate freely around them. Lightly grease or line two baking trays.
2. Sieve the flour, salt and baking soda into a medium sized bowl.
3. Combine the melted butter and sugars in a large bowl. Add the eggs, extra egg yolk and vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
4. Add the flour and chocolate chunks and stir until just combined.
5. Divide the dough evenly into twenty pieces and roll into balls. Space them evenly on the oven trays, allowing plenty of room for them to spread. Bake for between 15-20 minutes until light brown.The darker the cookies, the crisper they will be.

* P.S, I never ever put salt in my baking goods because I don't feel like there is the need for extra sodium.
I also had to refrigerate the dough for a while because my mixture was too sticky. Also, a great tip is to freeze your cookie dough. You can stash it in there, take it out whenever and bake the cookies! Just let the cookie dough defrost and come to room temperature though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting, I really appreciate it!