Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Macaron madness

Sometimes, I wonder why I eat so much and it's not necessarily always healthy. Take for instance, one day I might just have a really bad craving. The next thing you know, I'm rummaging the pantry looking for some milk chocolate. And then finishing the whole block.). It's actually quite scary if you ask me.

You should even see me during breakfast time. I basically eat breakfast like a queen.

I made some quiche with my mum for dinner and I ate so much AND one of my mum's lemonade scones. Her scones are literally the best scones I've ever tasted. Of course, filled with whipped cream and jam! What is a scone without whipped cream and jam?
This was taken last year. I can't be bothered taking pictures now.
The other day, my second sister brought home some macarons from my favourite macaron shop, La belle miette! They are absolutely the most perfect macarons. I obviously couldn't eat the whole tube (though I'd like to) because my sister bought it for my whole family but I ate a raspberry one and a blueberry one. I loved the blueberry one. There was a sudden burst of blueberry jam in the middle.

They have the cutest boxes!
C'est parfait.
Macarons aren't exactly the cheapest baked goods you can buy, pricing typically at $2.50 AUD per macaron. So I am always so appreciative of my sisters.

La Belle Miette on Urbanspoon


  So, remember how a few months ago (REFER), I said that I wish I could master the macaron? Well I'm not exactly a master at macarons, BUT I can make decent ones!! Turns out, they are not impossible to bake.  Now I have sort-of-successfully made them twice! One was green tea and I just recently did pistachio ones.But they're just not that pretty.

Hello Ugly Macaron that tasted delicious. 
Tips

- The stiff peaks of the egg whites. You whip the egg whites until you have glossy, stiff peaks. To make sure, you hold the bowl upside down, and nothing should move.

- Leaving the macarons for about half an hour to harden their shells. I cannot stress how important that step is. The first two times, I didn't leave my macarons out to harden their shells long enough, and it completely failed!

I got the recipe off Tartelette. Helen from Tartelette is known as the 'Queen of macarons'. I've used her recipe twice, and her method and tips are excellent!

I know these macarons don't look pretty, BUT LOOKS CAN BE DECEIVING! I haven't got the technique just right, but I'm on the path.
UGLAY. Compare it to La belle miette... 
Pistachio macaron recipe but I used chocolate ganache instead of whipping up the buttercream. Chocolate ganache is seriously so easy to do!

And for heaven's sake, IT'S A MACARON NOT A MACAROON. I saw a Women's weekly recipe book at a bookstore that had the title "Macaroons and biscuits." #facepalm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting, I really appreciate it!